Biography of Elart von Collani
Dates of birth and death
(*) 01 April 1944 in Litzmannstadt, then Warthegau (Lodz, Poland)
(+) 25 February 2017 in Würzburg, Germany
Elart's parents were Thassilo and Dr Ada von Collani, née von Erdmann. Thassilo came from an old Prussian officer family and was a colonel; Ada von Erdmann was a Baltic German from Latvia and had a doctorate in history. Elart had an older
sister named Teda and two older brothers, Egbert and Alexander. Up until their flight caused by the war, the family lived in Bedlno (at the time in the Warthegau, but actually in Poland).
When Elart was not yet a year old, the family fled to West Germany, where they lived in Westphalia until 1955. Further stations were Thüngen and Schweinfurt in Lower Franconia. After his studies, Elart then lived in Würzburg.
In 1974, Elart married the theologian Claudia Elisabeth Radina. They had three children: Tora, Sina and Arno.
After attending primary school in Nammen and Bückeburg, Lower Saxony, Elart attended grammar school in Bückeburg. Between 1960 and 1964, he attended the Alexander-von-Humboldt-Oberrealschule in Schweinfurt, Lower Franconia, where he passed the Abitur in 1964. After two years in the German Armed Forces (1964–1966), he studied mathematics and physics at the Julius-Maximilians-Universität of Würzburg (1966–1972), earning a diploma in mathematics in 1972. From 1972 until 1973, Elart von Collani had a research scholarship from the Japanese Ministry of Culture at the Tokyo Institute of Technology. Back in Würzburg, he began his doctoral studies in statistics with Prof. Dr Werner Uhlmann in 1973, earning his Dr. rer. nat. in 1977. The topic was: Kostenoptimale Prüfpläne für die laufende Kontrolle eines normalverteilten Merkmals (Cost-optimal test plans for the continuous control of a normally distributed characteristic). His habilitation studies at the University of Würzburg followed, which he completed in 1983 with his habilitation in applied mathematics and the award of the Dr. rer. nat. habil. with his thesis Das Minimax-Regret-Prinzip für Stichprobenpläne beim Ziehen ohne Zurücklegen (The minimax-regret principle for sampling plans when drawing without laying back). In 1997, he acquired the title of associate professor.
Collani remained loyal to the subject of statistics, where he was already a research assistant during his studies between 1969 and 1972. After his stay in Japan, he became a research assistant and then an assistant at the Institute for Statistics at the University of Würzburg under Prof. Dr Werner Uhlmann. From 1987 until 1997, he taught statistics at the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Würzburg, and he was an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Economics at the University of Würzburg from 1997 until 2009. In between, he held visiting professorships in Regensburg, Japan, Sweden and Brazil. He retired in 2009.
Elart von Collani had 9 doctoral students, and the number of diploma and Master's theses written under him was probably around 100.
In 1986, he founded and directed the “Würzburg Research Group on Quality Control”, which was largely funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation). Researchers from Germany and several other countries, such as Romania, Bulgaria, Poland, Ireland, Portugal, Sweden, Moldavia, Hungary, England, USA, China, Japan, South Africa and India, were involved in the research projects. Some of them had guest stays, others were invited to give lectures, while Würzburg members of the research group travelled abroad in exchange for guest stays. Under the direction of Elart von Collani, the participants put the theory of science into practice. Projects included letter transit times, telephone networks, explosive substances, state control of monopoly companies, nuclear energy, wind energy, medical and legal problems, metrology, research related to energy and the mobility sector.
Towards the end of the 1990s, through his collaboration with scientists from other fields, von Collani became increasingly convinced that conventional statistics mismeasures or distorts, that many questions and problems are not defined and that therefore many problems cannot be solved. He therefore increasingly shifted to stochastics, rediscovering and developing the research of the Swiss mathematician Jakob Bernoulli (1654/55–1705). Von Collani further developed this stochastic thinking into Bernoulli Stochastics. The official birth of this system may have been in 2000 with the Millennial Symposium under the Auspices of the Bernoulli Society: Defining the Science Stochastics, Schloss Zeilitzheim, October 4–6, 2000. The results of this symposium were published in 2004 (see below), whereby two of Collani‘s articles were particularly decisive: “Theoretical Stochastics” and “Empirical Stochastics”, both published in the conference proceedings of the Symposium Defining the Science of Stochastics (Lemgo: Heldermann 2004).
In order to spread his idea of stochastics, von Collani founded the company Stochastikon GmbH in 2002 and ran it until his death. Its work included technology transfer in the field of stochastics through the development and marketing of relevant software with consulting and expert opinions and, in particular, training seminars including the publication of books and journals in the field of stochastics. In order to further disseminate his ideas and spread the know-how of stochastics, von Collani created a corresponding Internet presence with the so-called Encyclopedia, as well as with the Magister, Mentor and Calculator systems.
Elart von Collani was the founder and editor of the scientific journal Economic Quality Control, which appeared in mimeographed form from 1986 until 2000. Volumes 16 to 24 of the years 2001–2009 were published by Heldermann Verlag in Lemgo. Since volume 25 (2010), the journal has been published by de Gruyter, Berlin. In 2014, George D. Yanev became Chief Editor, and since 2017 the journal has been published under the title Stochastics and Quality Control.
Von Collani was coordinator and leader of several national and international research projects. He was chairman of the “Society of Quality, Reliability and Safety” (1999–2009), founder and managing director of the company Stochastikon GmbH (2003–2017) and founding member and chairman of the board of Neues Siebold-Forum zu Würzburg e. V. Von Collani was organizer and co-organizer of four conferences incollaboration with Umeå University (1990, 1992, 1994 and 1996) and participated in many workshops and conferences. From 1966 to 1995, Elart von Collani was a reserve officer in the German Armed Forces, his last rank being Major d. R.
- Optimale Wareneingangskontrolle (Stuttgart: Teubner, 1984) (Habilitation).
- The Economic Design of Control Charts (Stuttgart: Teubner, 1989).
- Editor, Proceedings of the Second Würzburg-Umeå Conference in Statistics: Bayerische Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, May 18 - 21, 1992 (Würzburg 1992).
- Editor, Proceedings of the 4th Würzburg-Umeå Conference in Statistics (Würzburg 1996).
- Editor with Waltraud Kahle, Advances in Stochastic Models for Reliability, Quality and Safety (Boston: Birkhäuser, 1998).
- Editor with Klaus Draeger, Binomial Distribution Handbook for Scientists and Engineers with CD Rom (Boston: Birkhäuser 2001).
- Editor, Defining the Science of Stochastics (Lemgo: Heldermann 2004).
- With Xiaomin Zhai, Stochastics (Beijing Publisher Group, Beijing, 2005) (in Chinese).
- With Karl Baur, Was zum Teufel ist Qualität? (Lemgo: Heldermann, 2007).
- With Karl Baur, Nuclear Fuel Quality Management Handbook. Volume I: Fabrication, Operation, Disposal and Transport of Nuclear Fuel (Krongjutarvägen 2010).
Translations from Japanese
- Together with Minoru Nambara, Jorinde Ebert, Gertrud Güntsch, Hans-Joachim Knaup, „Die Predigt Sansuikyô des Zen-Meisters Dôgen“, Nachrichten der Gesellschaft für Natur- und Völkerkunde Ostasiens 120 (1976) 5–15.
- Junnosuke Yoshiyuki. Regenschauer (together with C. v. Collani, J. Ebert, Y. Furusawa, K. Hirao), ed. by Institut für Sinologie, Universität Würzburg, Prof. Dr. Hans Steininger (Tokyo: Dogakusha 1982).
- Rynosuke Akutagawa, Rashomon (together with C. v. Collani, J. Ebert, H. Sugiura), ed. by Institut für Sinologie, Universität Würzburg, Prof. D. Hans Steininger (Tokyo: Dogakusha 1983).
- Kinoshita Mokutaro, Eine Anklage (together with G. Güntsch, J. Walter, J. Ebert, C. v. Collani, Y. Nitta), ed. by Y. Nitta (Tokyo: Dogakusha 1986).
- „Zur Wahl eines mehrstufigen Stichprobenplans“, Metrika 21 (1974) 175–196.
- Together with G. K. Kriglstein, V. Brethfeld, „Vergleichende Tonometrie mit lageunabhängigen Handapplikationstonomentern“, Albrecht v. Graefes Arch. klin. exp. Ophtal. 199 (1976) 101–113.
- Together with Wolfgang Leydhecker, Günter K. Krieglstein, „Observer Variation in Application Tonometry and Estimation of the Cup Disk Ratio“, Glaucoma Update (1979) 101–117.
- „Kostenoptimale Prüfpläne bei laufender Kontrolle eines normalverteilten Merkmals“, Proceedings in Operations Research (1979) 220–226.
- With F. A. da Silva, G. F. Krieglstein, „Die Messung des arteriellen Blutdrucks am Auge mit der Stepanik Arteriotonographen“, Klinische Blätter für Augenheilkunde 174 (1979) 706–714.
- „Zur Bestimmung eines kostenoptimalen Prüfplanes bei Gut-Schlecht-Prüfung, Operations Research Proceedings (1980) 497–503.
- „Kostenoptimale Prüfpläne für die laufende Kontrolle eines normalverteilten Merkmals“, Metrika 28 (1981) 211–236 (abriged dissertation).
- „Optimale Inspektionsstrategien. Das Modell (Barlow, Hunter, Proschan )“, Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik 62 (1981) 367–369.
- “On the Choice of Optimal Sampling Intervals to Maintain Current Control of a Process”, in: H.-J. Lenz, et al. (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 1 (Würzburg 1981) 38–44.
- “Current Control of a Process” 2, European Young Statisticians Meeting. Bernoulli Society, Bressanone, 14-18 September 1981, 51–55.
- „Optimale Inspektionsstrategien“, Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik 62 (1982) 367–369.
- “A Sampling System for Inspection by Attributes”, in: H.-J. Lenz, et al. (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control (Würzburg 1984) 13–24.
- “Minimax-Regret-Sampling-Plans with Prior Information”, Statistics & Decisions, Supplement Issue No. 2 (1985) 257–262.
- “The α-Optimal Acceptance Sampling Scheme”, Journal of Quality Technology 18,1 (1986) 63–66.
- “A Simple Procedure to Determine the Economic Design of Control Chart”, Journal of Quality Technology 18,3 (1986) 145–151.
- “Shewhart-Karten mit und ohne Warngrenzen”, Statistische Hefte / Statistical Papers 27 (1986) 255–277.
- “The α-Optimal Sampling Plans for Large Acceptance Numbers”, Metrika 33 (1986) 257–273.
- “The α-optimal sampling scheme”, Journal of Quality Technology 18 (1986) 63–66.
- “Optimal Inspection and Sampling Procedures”, in: Anil Mital (ed.), Proceedings of the IXth ICPR (Cincinnati 1987) 389–395.
- “A Note on Economic Quality Control”, EQC 2.1 (1987) 11–23.
- With John Sheil, “A New Generation of Statistical Quality Control Procedures”, EQC 2.2 (1987) 37–46.
- “The Würzburg Economic Approach to SPC”, EQC 2.3 (1987) 67–75.
- “New Methods in Acceptance Sampling”, EQC 2.4 (1987) 93–96.
- “MIL-STD-105 D in the Light of Alpha-Optimal Sampling Plans”, in: H.-J. Lenz, et al. (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 3 (Würzburg 1987) 24–34.
- „Eine Modifikation der α-optimalen Prüfpläne für große relative Prüfkosten“, Allgemeines Statistisches Archiv 71.2 (1987) 109–116.
- “Approximate α-Optimal Sampling Plans”, Statistics 18 (1987) 333–334.
- “The Economic Design of X Control Charts”, Proceedings of the IASTED International Symposium Reliability and Quality Control (Paris 1987) 186–189.
- “Economic Control of Continuously Monitored Production Processes”, Reports of Statistical Application Research, JUSE 34.2 (1987) 1–18.
- With B. F. Arnold, “Economic Process Control”, statistica neerlandica 41.2 (1987) 89–97.
- “The Würzburg Economic Standard X-1. A Procedure for Controlling the Process Mean During Production (X-Standard)”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Quality Control (Tokyo 1987) 441–446.
- With Erwin M. Saniga, Victor R. Prybutok, „Strategic Quality Control“, EQC 2.1 (1987) 4–10.
- “A Unified Approach to Optimal Process Control”, Metrika 35 (1988) 145–159.
- With Klaus Meder, “Sensitivity of Alpha-Optimal Sampling Plans”, The International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management 5.1 (1988) 39–52.
- Mit Klaus Meder, “The Alpha-Optimal Sampling Plan-Accuracy of the Approximate Solution”, IAPQR (Journal of the Indian Association for Productivity, Quality & Reliability) Transactions 13.1 (1988) 1–17.
- “Economic product control by routine testing of small samples”, The Statistician 37 (1988) 333–341.
- “An updated Bibliography of Economic Quality Control Procedures”, EQC 3 (1988) 48–62.
- “Statistical Quality Control – State of the Art and Further Development”, EQC 3 (1988), 80–93.
- “A further note on Misunderstandings of the Economic Approach”, EQC 4.4 (1989) 4–10.
- With John Sheil, “An Approach to Controlling Process Variability”, Journal of Quality Technology 21.2 (1989) 87–96.
- With John Sheil, “Economically Optimal c- and np-Control Charts”, Metrika 36 (1989) 215–232.
- With B. F. Arnold, “On the Robustness of X-Charts”, Statistics 20.1 (1989) 149–159.
- “A General Approach to Optimal Process Control”, Microelectronics Reliability 29.3 (1989) 393–397.
- “On the Development of modern Statistical Quality Control”, in: Festschrift für Dr. Hidenori Morimura, prof. em. (Tokyo Institute of Technology) 26–30.
- “Zuverlässigkeit und Statistische Qualitätskontrolle in modernen Produktionsanlagen“, Nachrichtentechnik, Elektronik 9 (1989) 348–350.
- “ANSI / ASQC Z1.4 versus ANSI / ASQC Z1.9”, EQC 5.2 (1990) 60–64.
- “Wirtschaftliche Qualitätskontrolle – eine Übersicht über einige neue Ergebnisse”, OR Spektrum 12 (1990) 1–23.
- “Statistical Quality Control – Quo Vadis? ”, Proceedings of the Seminar Advanced Studies on Reliability Engineering (Budapest 1990) 120–135.
- “Recent Developments in Statistical Quality Control”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Statistical Data Analysis (SDA’90) (Varna 1990) 32–56.
- “A Note on Acceptance Sampling for Variables”, Metrika 38 (1991) 19–36.
- “Optimale Produktkontrolle” (seminar), Wissenschaftliche Zeitschrift Technische Hochschule Ilmenau 1 (1991) 127–135.
- “Optimale Prozeßkontrolle” (seminar), Wissenschaftliche Zeitschrift Technische Hochschule Ilmenau 1 (1991) 137–145.
- “A New Dimension in Statistical Education”, EQC 6.4 (1991) 225–230.
- “A Pitfall of Acceptance Sampling by Variables”, in: H.-J. Lenz, G. B. Wetherill, P.-Th. Wilrich (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 4 (Heidelberg 1992) 91–99.
- With Ch. Weigand, “Economic machine adjustment in the case of product screening”, Statistical Papers / Statistische Hefte 33 (1992) 171–184.
- With Peter Frahm and P. Gabriel, “Economic Inspection and Renewal Policies in the Case of Unperfect Renewals”, EQC 7 (1992) 195–212.
- “Statistical Education, in: E.v. Collani, Rainer Göb (eds.), Proceedings. Second Würzburg-Umeå Conference in Statistics (Würzburg 1992) 69–75.
- With Josef Treml, “Control of a Two-Dimensional Process-Quality-Indicator by means of a Screening Procedure”, Journal and Newsletter for Quality and Reliability 8.3 (1993) 167–194 (or EQC 8, 1993) 167–194.
- “State and Development of Statistical Education in Germany”, Bulletin of the Statistical Institute, book 2 (1993) 533–534.
- With E. M. Saniga, C. Weigand, “Economic adjustment Designs for X Control Charts”, IIE Transactions 26.6 (1994) 37–43.
- “Part III: Economic Sampling Schemes”, in: European Masters Course in Safety and Reliability. Industrial Quality Control. Technical University of Budapest, July 11–15 (1994) 101–127.
- With S. J. Wiklund, „A General Model for Studying Adjustment Strategies”, Statistical Studies No. 19/IV (University of Umeå 1994) 1–24.
- “Relevance and Difficulty of Teaching Stochastics, the Science of Randomness”, European Journal of Engineering Education 20.3 (1995) 301–311.
- “Process quality indicator versus process capability index”, in: K. Brännäs, H. Stenlund (eds.), Proceedings of the third Umeå-Würzburg Conference in Statistics (Umeå 1995) 83–96.
- With B. Dimitrov, “Contorted Uniform and Pareto Distributions”, Statistic & Probability Letters 23 (1995) 157–164.
- With K. Dräger, “Simplified Economic Design of Control Charts for Monitoring the Nonconforming Probability”, EQC 10 (1996) 231–293.
- “A Note on Bill Woodall’s critique on the Economic Approach in Statistical Process”, in: Würzburg Research Group on Quality Control (ed.), Proceedings of the 4th Würzburg-Umeå Conference in Statistics (Würzburg 1996).
- “Relevance and Difficulty of Teaching Students Stochastics, the Science of Randomness”, European Journal of Engineering Education 20 (1996) 301–311.
- “Process Capability Indices as a Means of Production Management”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Quality (Yokohama 1996) 583–588.
- “A Mathematical Framework for Statistical Process Control”, in: H.-J. Lenz, P.-Th. Wilrich (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 5 (Heidelberg, New York 1997) 69–82.
- With J. B. Keats, E. Del Castillo and E. M. Saniga, “Economic Modeling for Statistical Process Control”, ASQC. Journal of Quality Technology 29.2 (1997) 144–147.
- “Determination of the Economic Design of Control Charts Simplified”, in: K. S. Al-Sultan, A. Rahim (eds.), Optimization of Quality Control (Boston 1997) 89–143.
- “ISO 9000 Series and the Cogwheel Model”, Journal of Quality Technology 29 (1997) 152–154.
- “A Note on Safety, Reliability and Control of Systems”, in: C. Guedes Soares (ed.), Advances in Safety and Reliability (New York 1997) 1977–1984.
- “A Simple Algorithm for Calculating Approximately the Reliability of Almost Arbitrary Large Networks”, in: W. Kahle, E. von Collani (eds.), Advances in Stochastic Models for Reliability, Quality and Safety (Boston: Birkhäuser, 1998) 213–233.
- “A Note on Safety, Reliability and Control of Systems”, ESREL 97, 1977–1984.??
- With E. Del Castillo, R. Göb, “A methodological approach for the integration of SPC and EPC in discrete manufacturing processes”, in: S. H. Park and G. G. Vining (eds.), Statistical Process Monitoring and Optimization (New York: Decker 1999) 77–105.
- “Control of production processes subject to random shocks”, Annals of Operations Research 91 (1999) 289–304.
- With A. Tsodikov, A. Yakovlev, M. Myer-Proschel, M. Nobel, “A random walk model of oligodendrocyte generation of in vitro and associated estimation problems”, Mathematical Biosciences 159 (1999) 189–204.
- “Measuring the Loss of Mail”, in: V. V. Kalashnikov, A. M. Andronov (eds.), Probabilistic Analysis of Rare Events: Theory and Problems of Safety, Insurance and Ruin (Riga 1999) 157–160.
- “Education and Transfer of Research Results via the Internet”, European Journal of Engineering Education 24.4 (1999) 429–440.
- With M. Dumitrescu, „Neyman Exclusion Procedure“, EQC 15 (2000) 15–34.
- With M. Dumitrescu, „Neyman Comparison Procedure“, EQC 15 (2000) 35–53.
- Editorial, “Statistics in the 21st Century”, EQC 15 (2000) 165–169.
- With V. Dragalin, “Part 2: Statistical Process Control. Monitoring the process mean by CUSUM charts with a simplified economic design”, Allgemeines Statistisches Archiv 84 (2000) 271–293.
- With A. Y. Yakovlev, M. Mayer-Proschel, M. Noble, “Stochastic Formulations of a Clock Model for Temporally Regulated Generation of Oligodendrocytes in Vitro”, Mathematical and Computer Modelling 32 (2000) 125–137.
- “Integrated and Objective-Oriented Statistical Process Control”, ORiON 16.1 (2000) 23–45.
- “Quality versus Profitability”, in: J. K. Cochran, J. W. Fowler, S. Brown (eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on Modeling and Analysis of Semiconductor Manufacturing (MASM 2000) (Tempe, Arizona 2000) 246–250.
- With M. Dumitrescu, “Complete Neyman measurement procedure”, Metrika 54 (2001) 111–130.
- With F. Killmann, “A Note on the Convolution of the Uniform and Related Distributions and Their Use in Quality Control”, EQC 16.1 (2001) 17–41.
- With M. Dumitrescu and R. Lepenis, “Neyman Measurement and Prediction Procedures”, EQC 16 (2001) 109–132.
- “OECD PISA – An Example of Stochastic Illiteracy?” EQC 16.2 (2001) 227–253.
- “The Neyman Theory – A Scientific Measurement Theory”, in: V. P. Bulatov, I. G. Friedlaender (eds.), Basic Problems of Precision Theory (Nauka, St. Petersburg, 2001, in Russian) 74–94.
- With S. J. Wiklund, “Evaluation of Adjustment Policies for Controlling Production Processes”, in: V. P. Bulatov, I. G. Frielaender (eds.), Basic Problems of Precision Theory (St. Petersburg, Nauka 2001) (in Russian) 269–294.
- With G. Kiesmüller, “Improving and Maintaining Process Profitability”, in: A. M. Rahim (ed.), Integrated models in production planning, inventory, quality, and maintenance (Boston 2001) 245–276.
- With R. Wild, “Modelling of Explosives Sensitivity. Part 1: The Bruceton Method”, EQC 17.1 (2002) 113–122.
- With R. Wild, “Modelling of Explosives Sensitivity. Part 2: The Weibull-Model”, EQC 17.2 (2002) 195–220.
- With M. Dumitrescu and V. Panaite, “Neyman Measurement Procedures for a Variance of a Normal Distribution”, EQC 17.2 (2002) 155–176.
- “Large Quantification by Stochastic Models”, Информационные процессы 2.2 (2002) 166–168 (Memorial Seminar for Vladimir Kalashnikov).
- “Quantification by Stochastic Models. Information Processes”, Electronic Scientific Journal 2 (2002) 166–168.
- With K. Baur, “Prediction Intervals, Tolerance Intervals and Standards in Quality Control - Part I”, EQC 17.1 (2002) 81–98.
- With W. Sans, “A Note on Monotonic Probability Distributions”, EQC 18.1 (2003) 67–81.
- “Theoretical Stochastics”, in: Defining the Science of Stochastics (Lemgo: Heldermann 2004) 147–174.
- “Empirical Stochastics”, in: Defining the Science of Stochastics (Lemgo: Heldermann 2004) 175–213.
- “A Note on the Quality of Statistical Quality Control Procedure”, in: H.-J. Lenz, P.-Th. Wilrich (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 7 (Heidelberg, New York 2004) 3–14.
- With M. Dumitrescu “Stochastic Methods for Production Processes”, EQC 19.1 (2004) 61–82.
- With W. Sans, X. Zhai, S. Sen, “Measurement Procedures for Improving the Variability Function”, EQC 19.2 (2004) 215–228.
- “Review of Statistical Standards and Specifications. A Military Problem Named ISO 2859-1 Sampling Procedures for Inspection by Attributes – Part 1”, EQC 19.2 (2004) 265–276.
- With A. Binder, X. Zhai, “A Note on Productivity, Quality and Reliability and the Aspect of Uncertainty”, IAPQR Transactions 29.2 (2004) 83–95.
- With K. Baur, “Brennstabauslegung und Brennstabmodellierung – Teil 1 (Fuel rod design and modeling of fuel rods, Part 1)”, Kerntechnik 69 (2004) 253–260.
- “History, State of the Art and Future of Stochastics”, in: I. Grattan-Guinness, B. S. Yadav (eds.), History of the Mathematical Sciences (Hindustan Book Agency, New Delhi, 2004) 171–194.
- With K. Baur, „Brennstabauslegung und Brennstabmodellierung – Teil 2 (Fuel rod design and modeling of fuel rods, Part 2)“, Kerntechnik 70 (2005) 158–166.
- “2005 – The Jakob Bernoulli Year. 350th Anniversary of Jakob’s Birth and 300th Anniversary of Jakob’s Death”, EQC 20.2 (2005) 155–169.
- With D. Stübner, “Defining of reliability and precision of measurements”, in: V. P. Bulatov (ed.), Problems of Mechanical Engineering Precision, Friction and Depreciation (Nauka, St. Petersburg 2005) 290–317 (in Russian).
- With W. Sans, D. Stübner, S. Sen, X. Zhai, “Improving the Variability Function in Case of a Uniform Distribution”, IAPQR Transactions 20.1 (2005) 1–12.
- With W. Sans, X. Zhai, D. Stübner, S. Sen, A. Binder, “Improving the Variability Function in Case of a Monotonic Probability Distribution”, EQC 20.1 (2005) 121–142.
- “A Note on the Concept of Independence”, EQC 20.1 (2006) 155–164.
- “Review of Statistical Standards and Specifications: Draft International Standard ISO/DIS 2210: Milk and Milk Products“, EQC 20.2 (2005) 291–303.
- With W. Sans, S. Sen, X. Zhai, “A Note in Nature and Significance of Stochastic Models”, EQC 21.2 (2006) 183–197.
- “How some ISO Standards Complicate Quality Improvement”, in: H.-J. Lenz, P.-Th. Wilrich (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 8 (Heidelberg, New York 2006) 3–17.
- With R. Göb, “Acceptance Sampling in Modern Industrial Environments”, in: F. Ruggeri, R. S. Kenett, F. W. Faltin (eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability, vol. 1 (New York 2007) 63–68.
- With K. K. Suresh: “Continuous Sampling”, in: F. Ruggeri, R. S. Kenett, F. W. Faltin (eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability, vol. 1 (New York 2007) 380–382.
- “Economic Sampling Schemes”, in: F. Ruggeri, R. S. Kenett, Frederick W. Faltin (eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability, vol. 2 (New York 2007) 595–598.
- With R. Göb and K. K. Suresh, „Single Sampling by Attributes and by Variables”, in: F. Ruggeri, R. S. Kenett, F. W. Faltin (eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability, vol. 4 (New York 2007) 1819–1825.
- With S. Balamurali, C.-H. Jun, “Skip Lot and Chain Sampling”, in: F. Ruggeri, R. S. Kenett, F. W. Faltin (eds.), Encyclopedia of Statistics in Quality and Reliability, vol. 4 (New York 2007) 1830–1833.
- “Jakob Bernoulli Deciphered”, Bernoulli News. Newsletter of the Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability 13.2 (2006).
- With F. Schelz, W. Sans, “Improving the Variability Function in Case of a Uni-Modal Probability Distribution”, EQC 22.1 (2007) 19–39.
- With S. Sen, “A Note on the Moments of Random Variables”, EQC 22.2 (2007) 223–246.
- “Review of Statistical Standards and Specifications. A Critical Note on the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement”, EQC 23.1 (2008) 123–149.
- “Review of Statistical Standards and Specifications: The Need for a Standard for Making Predictions Stochastics”, EQC 23.2 (2008) 287–299.
- “Defining and Modeling Uncertainty”, Journal of Uncertain Systems 2.3 (2008) 202–211.
- With A. Binder, W. Sans, A. Heitmann, K. Al-Ghazali, „Design Load Definition by LEXPOL“, Wind Energy 11 (2008) 637–653.
- With K. Baur, “Stochastic Modelling as a Tool for Quality Assessment and Quality Improvement Illustrated by Means of Nuclear Fuel Assemblies, in: H.-J. Lenz, P.-Th. Wilrich, W. Schmid (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 9 (Heidelberg, New York 2008) 209–223.
- With X. Zhai, “Strategies for Teaching a Novel Approach to Handling Uncertainty Scientifically via Internet”, iJET 4.2 (2009) 52–57.
- With X. Zhai, “A graphical tool for visualizing Bernoulli Stochastics”, iJET 4.3 (2009) 44-50.
- “Review of Statistical Standards and Specifications: A Note on the XIX IMEKO World Congress Fundamental and Applied Metrology”, EQC 24.2 (2009) 287–307.
- “The Forgotten Science of Prediction”, in: V. Nithyanantha Bhat et al. (eds.), History and Heritage of Mathematical Sciences (Kerala 2009) 54–70.
- “Theologie, Wissenschaft und Mathematik – eine Standortbestimmung”, Hirschberg 63.9 (2010) 532–536.
- “Response to ‘Desired and Feared – What Do We Do Now and Over the Next 50 Years’ by Xiao-Li Meng”, The American Statistician 64.1 (2010) 23–25.
- “Book Review: Generalized Gaussian Error Calculus, by Michael Grabe”, EQC 25.2 (2010) 169–172.
- With X. Zhai, “Evaluate Stochastikon Magister by Questionnaire”, iJET 6.1 (2011) 44–52.
- “Uncertainty and Quality Control”, in: H.-J. Lenz, W. Schmid, P.-T. Wilrich (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 10 (Heidelberg, New York 2012) 401–416.
- “History of Quality Control, the Role of ISO Standards and the Terminology in Statistics”, IAPQR Transactions, Special Volume 01 (2013) 197–216.
- “Five Turning Points in the Historical Progress of Statistics. My Personal Vision”, Serdica Journal of Computing 8 (2014) 199–226.
- Conference Proceedings XIIth International Workshop on Intelligent Statistical Quality Control 2016, August 16–19, 2016 (2016) 97–109.
- “A Note on the Quality of Biomedical Statistics”, in: S. Knoth, Wolfgang Schmid (eds.), Frontiers in Statistical Quality Control 12 (Cham 2018) 355–366.
- “A New Approach for Quantifying Uncertainty in Epidemology”, in: A. Almudevar, D. Oakes, J. Hall (eds.), Statistical Modeling for Biological Systems: In Memory of Andrei Yakovlev (Cham 2020) 230–240.
Not listed are 70 technical reports, research reports and preprints.
On Elart von Collani:
Boyan Dimitrov, “In Memoriam: Elart von Collani”, https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/eqc-2017-0017/html (accessed 1 March 2021).
Elart von Collani in the Mathematics Genealogy Project: https://www.genealogy.math.ndsu.nodak.edu/id.php?id=26247&fChrono=1
Author of this post:
Claudia von Collani
Last updated: 10 April 2022